Saving Some $Green$ by Going Green
Living as “green” as possible is a great goal for any family to have but many families think that eco-friendly products and living green is very costly. In some cases this may be true but in many cases being environmentally friendly can save you money.
- A great way to save money and the environment is to carpool. Taking kids to and from school is a great way to take advantage of this. Get together with a couple of the other parents in the neighborhood and put together a schedule to share dropping off and picking up the kids. This will save you time as well as money.
- Start a garden. This is a great family activity that will make for some great quality family time together. It will also teach kids about food and where it comes from and will provide food for your family that you know is not riddled with chemicals. Produce gets thrown away so frequently if not used quickly and is not cheap, by planting your own for much cheaper you can save your family a lot of money.
- If you can’t afford to upgrade appliances and other items in the home to more energy efficient products, at least do an entire check of your home for quick, easy things you can fix. Sealing cracks or caulking around windows and doors can drop your heating bill. Cheap fixes like buying a programmable thermostat or adding some insulation can save your family a lot of money but also make your home much more eco-friendly.
- Sign up for paperless billing with all of your bills. In the very least this will save you a lot of mail sitting around your home and a lot of paper in the trash but some companies offer you discounts for using paperless billing and/or paying electronically. Paying bills electronically also saves you money on checks you have to purchase. Keep this in mind as way to save money on your home business as well.
- Make your own cleaning products. This is SO easy to do and is very environmentally friendly. Products sold at the stores claiming to be environmentally friendly are costly but you can make your own glass cleaner, laundry detergent, bath cleaning products and general household cleaning products for so much cheaper. For those of you running a business and interested in making your business more environmentally friendly as well, buy multiple spray bottles and make big batches of the cleaning products and fill up the spray bottles to distribute around the office for cleaning.
What other things have you done to go green around your home? What tips do you have to share about how to make your business more environmentally friendly as well as save money?