Show your Bling some Love on Valentine’s Day
I thought this was a clever way to promote Valentine’s Day. Now if I think about I get most jewellery during this holiday. I
With Valentine’s Day coming up, RSA Canada is urging Canadians to show their personal possessions some love by making sure their insurance policies are up-to-date. Valentine’s Day is that special day of the year when you show your appreciation for the people you love, often in the form of chocolates, flowers and jewelry.
Although chocolates and flowers are quickly consumed, many people often forget to insure any new items of value or get them updated on their existing insurance policy, which is a big risk. When it comes to jewelry and valuable items, it isn’t just the financial value, but the emotional and sentimental value that is attached to those items.
RSA Canada suggests a few simple preventive measures to avoid those valuable Valentine’s Day gifts from getting lost or worse, stolen.
- Have new jewelry appraised by a qualified appraiser and get it updated on your insurance policy by either contacting the broker or the insurance company directly.
- Lock jewelry away in a safe place when not wearing it.
- Be aware of where you leave your jewelry. Avoid leaving jewelry in high traffic areas, like work desks or at the gym. That’s a big no-no.
- Keep jewelry away from sinks and counters. The last thing you want is to have to call in the plumber to help find that expensive ring.
- Know what is and isn’t covered in your insurance policy.
It’s also worthwhile revisiting your policy yearly, as existing jewelry and other possessions have the potential to appreciate in value.